Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Why Sci Anonymous?

I've thought about doing an anonymous blog for some time. Here's why:

Under NIH's definition, I'm an early career scientist, and as such I have to work within a system.

But the system is screwed up.

It really is.

These are problems that we can't fix unless we acknowledge that they are there.

So we need to talk about them. Figure them out. Fix them.

Just talking about these problems, acknowledging that I am not perfectly happy within this unfair system, brands me as a troublemaker. Some of the people who are manifestations of the system's problems also have power over me. Power to give me my dream job, or to write me a bad recommendation letter. So I have kept my mouth shut.

But I don't want to give these people that power. Anonymous is the safest way to have a voice.

This blog is not an attempt to troll safely.  I am not here to attack anyone, and I won't be naming any names or pointing any fingers. That being said, I know that not everyone will agree with everything I say. I am sorry if I offend you at some point, but I am here to have that discussion. Please tell me what you think, and why. That's the point.



Here's what I will tell you about myself:

I am a scientist.

I went to graduate school.

I write about my science, somewhere.

You probably already know me, online or in real life.




Come on. Let's fix this.

No comments:

Post a Comment